College football tailgates have been happening these past few months, but now the real serious tailgates (and games) are underway. This Apple Bean Bake recipe is from my Good To Go cookbook and has been a standard dish for all our tailgates. No pictures for this one since it’s 1) very easy and 2) we consume it all before I can take any pics!! Great hot, warm or cold. Especially the next day after the game. It is a very forgiving recipe so if you have little time to peel the apples, don’t bother. And, yellow onion or sweet onion works in place of red.
Apple Bean Bake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 375 degrees for 1 hour
Quantity: serves at least 8-10 people
1 jar (48 oz.) great northern beans, drained
4 tablespoons butter
3 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 large red onion, roughly chopped
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add apples and onions. Cook for 10 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add brown sugar, ketchup, cinnamon, cloves and salt; stir well.
- Place beans in prepared casserole dish. Pour apple mixture over the beans; mix well. Bake for 1 hour. (Cover beans during baking process if drying out too much.)