Since it was a perfect summer today – I decided to grill out steaks for dinner. Of course, I got started on the laundry, scrubbing our garage floor, and getting it prepped to paint, and totally forgot to thaw the meat. Our teenage daughter is helping with the garage project and 3 hours into the dirty job asks the typical question – “Mom, what’s for dinner – I’m hungry?” Well, I did not have an answer so we decided to ‘wing it’ with a few items we readily had on hand. We came up with a great meal of Sloppy Joe’s on Rolls, some fresh fruit and corn on the cob. I wanted to share this recipe with you since it got rave reviews from my family – that means it’s pretty good because they are a hard crowd to please!
Sloppy Joe’s on Rolls
1 ½ pounds lean ground chuck
1 medium onion, chopped
½ green pepper, chopped
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch or two of ground cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
1 + cup ketchup
1 ½ Tablespoons brown sugar
4-6 slices pepper jack cheese (optional)
4-6 Kaiser style hamburger buns
1. Sauté ground meat, onion, and green pepper in a medium skillet over medium heat until meat is browned.
2. Stir in salt, black pepper, garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. At this point you can cool and refrigerate mixture up to 2 days or freeze in a tightly sealed container for up to 2 months – reheat before serving.
4. Serve open face or as a sandwich. Top with Pepper jack cheese, mustard and pickles.
5. Serves 4-6 depending on how hungry everyone is!