My bananas are about to walk off the counter. I love yellow bananas with lots of freckles. They are sweet, soft and the perfect comfort food for me, but my husband and 2 two kids won’t touch them like that. They prefer their bananas practically all green – yuck! So I buy a bunch of bananas (green) and put them on the counter. They eat them, but occasionally some are left over and within 2-3 days the bananas are ripe for me, but way over ripe for them. I leave them on the counter hoping some one will be hungry enough to eat them in any state…that’s when they take a quick turn for the worse…brown, then black..oh dear! So today I had a sweet tooth, but just couldn’t bring myself to eat something totally unhealthy, so I decided to make a Banana Chocolate Chip Snack Cake with these lovely, rich colored bananas left on my counter; cake sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth, but still healthy enough to feel good about eating a piece, or two, or three… Sorry, no photos. The cake was so good, it was consumed before I was able to pull the camera out! Make sure you cool cake completely before slicing into so the chocolate doesn’t ooze out everywhere, also the flavor will be much better.
Banana Chip Snack Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour (can substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour with 1 cup white)
3/4 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups mashed bananas
1cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Grease 9×13 inch pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, combine bananas, egg, melted butter, milk and vanilla.
4. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture until blended. Be careful not to over mix.
5. Stir in chocolate chips.
6. Pour half batter into 9×13 inch pan; sprinkle with chocolate chips; spread remaining batter over top. Bake 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely before slicing.